1. I have fallen off the gluten free wagon again. Ugh. My body is really mad at me for it. You would think I would learn this lesson by now. GLUTEN = bad news bears for this girl’s health and wellbeing. “But!”, my brain screams, “GLUTEN is soooooo tasty”. Le sigh. Yes, brain, gluten filled foods are delicious, but they do terrible things to my guts, mental acuity, energy level, and all around happiness with life. Awful terrible no good very bad things. I will spare you the specifics. I need to get this GLUTEN thing under control again. The primary problem? Laziness. Some nights I don’t feel like making special food because no one else in my house is intolerant. Then, once I cave on dinner it’s a slippy slope of gluten since I’ve already “screwed up the day” (like there’s a GLUTEN-meter somewhere keeping track …). Boooooo. Must. Stop. Eating. Cookies.
2. I recently started looking for a second job. One surely isn’t enough apparently. Ok, it is. We make it ok, but the lovely That Boy isn’t working (still … after he was released to return to work post-accident recovery um, a million years ago … ok, less than that, but it’s starting to feel that way). We don’t have to be a 2 income household, but you’ll recall I work for more warm fuzzy feelings than dollar bills so we’re really a 1/2 income family at this point. If we want more room in our budget to give and pay off debt and travel and continue to provide care for my elderly car (which I adore, for the record) , we need more income.
3. A highlight from the job searching … I recently applied for two different jobs with the county health department. One of them was a stretch for me to ‘qualify’ for based on licensure and experience (I’m a firm believer in applying above and below your qualifications and seeing what sticks …). The other I was woefully overqualifed for. The job posting closed at 5pm on Friday last week. At 523pm, I had not one, but TWO pretty pre-written rejection letters in my inbox. Nicely done, municipality! Way to be on top of rejecting people before you’ve probably read any of their resume or cover letter. Haha. Sweet.
4. I love peanut butter M&Ms. Too much. They’re full of dyes and chemicals and high fructose corn syrup (probably …). My mouth thinks they’re also full of sunshine and smiles.
5. I want to have the spring cleaning bug this week that I had last week. Last week it was cold and still snowing and not yet time for throwing open windows so one can spring clean, but damn if I wasn’t itchin’ to do just that. This week, the sun is shining and the temperatures are climbing above freezing, but I’m less than interested in cleaning anything. My brain seems to have this artificial timeframe for getting this cleaning done, and my body does not want to follow along.
6. Katie (from Kitchen Stewardship, a rockin’ cool blogger who you should be reading …) reminded me today that we’ve reached the halfway point of Lent. Yes! I haven’t had a drop of soda the entire time. Double yes! I have also not died without Diet Coke, which I was entirely convinced would immediately happen sometime around Day 2 or 3. Triple yes! It’s not all fun and successes, though. As Katie points out, Lent isn’t just about sacrifice, but increased prayer and reflection. The prayer and meditation goals I set for Lent? Yea … about that … I was johnny on it for weeks 1 and 2, but then … well … ok, I need to get back on the horse and try again. Maybe I should combine the goals I’m not meeting in various parts of my life? I don’t think the Book of Common Prayer has any words about not eating gluten, though … boo.
7. I’m trying to think of ways I can secretly turn up the thermostat without That Boy noticing because I’m freakin’ freezing tonight. My coldy cold fingers keep misspelling words and making me backspace like a crazy person. I am, of course, wearing only a tshirt, and as such would be an idiot to actually turn up the furnace to compensate for my lazy disregard for finding a sweater. A girl can dream …
Anything awesome or terrible or otherwise random going on in your life? Tell me about it!